Another bug report about this blog concerned various details of the RSS feed. I gave up on RSS readers soon after I started using them because of the overflow of information they generated. I find that twitter now provides a good flow of links to interesting stuff, that is auto cleansing. (And it appears RSS might be going out of fashion in general.)
Anyway, my excuse for never looking into the details of RSS. Based on a little study of the RSS 2.0 Specification I refined the feed definition of my blog application. It should be quite reusable in other WebDSL applications, although I couldn't figure out a way to make it completely automatic. Actually while writing that last sentence I got an idea for improving abstraction, which I'll discuss below.
While testing the improved RSS feed, I got back into RSS reading. The tricks seems to be in not subscribing to too many feeds, and in particular to avoid the high volume feeds generated by news organizations.